Sunday, March 05, 2006

Home Alone, Part Deux

7:30... again. On a Sunday. What's wrong with these kids?! I cannot wait until adolescence when all they want to do is sleep. That'll be incredible. Although I can't sleep past 8:00 anyway, so I don't know what I'm complaining about.

Yesterday went pretty well. I finally got the little miscreants to embrace the idea of going out for breakfast. I think maybe not giving them anything to eat until we left at 10:00 might have had something to do with it. They ended up chowing down and having a great time. The key was bringing crayons for them to draw on the placemats. Genius. I ended up getting one of those skillet things again... I don't know why. What is egg substitute? That's what it had in it. Egg substitute? All I could think of was the fake eggy crap inside those nasty easter Cadbury egg things.

Maybe that's what was in my "hobo skillet." No self-respecting hobo would've touched that crap. Next time, I'm going with an omelette. With bona fide eggs.

After breakfast we went to this art show thing at the high school. Mr. Z had something on display there, along with stuff from all the elementaries in town. It was great. Grade school art has apparently come a long way since I was making clay ashtrays in third grade. They also had all these tables set up with different art projects: make a frame, glue some wood crap together, etc. The kids had a great time until we couldn't find Mr. Z's coat when we were ready to go. He started flipping his lid and saying things like, "Now I have to go to school without a coat and I'll be freezing!" I assured him that we wouldn't send him into the arctic tundra without a coat, but I was pissed that it was gone. We looked all around the building for the jacket-jacker but to no avail. Finally, we made one more stop to the coatrack and lo and behold, there it was. Some mom was standing nearby and said, "Oh, I'm so sorry. Is that your coat? I took it by accident... thought it was my son's." I was relieved but her son had some dreary blue coat that looked nothing like Mr. Z's. I think she was trying to rip it off and was overwhelmed by guilt and had to return it. I let her off with a meager, "Oh, hey, so many of these coats look alike. Don't worry about it." Ya klepto.

The rest of the day was uneventful. All in all, I'd say we've had a great time. No real plans for today. I'm going to try to read the NY Times for a bit while they watch one of their movies. The old lady gets back tonight. Then maybe I'll kick back and watch the Oscars with a nice, strong, well-deserved martooni. Or seven.

No comments: