Tuesday, August 07, 2007

RIF: Reading Is Fundament... al



Miss O is finally cutting the bullshit and reading to us at night, now. For a while she'd hem and haw and say that she was too tired to read, but now I think she's having fun with it. She read the above book, "Miffy at the Zoo," to me tonight, and she rocked the fizzy out of it. But when we got to the page above, she started reading, "And look, he's stretching out his trunk to take a..." and then she paused, and said, "... to take a... piss?"

Being the five year old that I am, I did the blow-a-snot-bubble-outta-of-your-nose laugh. She had no idea what was so funny, but, of course, she started laughing, too. Then she asked:

MISS O: [laughing] What's piss?

ME: Uh... well, it's another word for "pee."

MISS O: [re-laughing now, with a purpose] I said "he's stretching out his trunk to take a piss!"

ME: Yeah, but it's not really a nice word for pee. You shouldn't really say that one.

MISS O: Okay... "he's stretching out his trunk to take a 'pee' of bread."

It went downhill from there -- I won't even tell you what she said the monkey was swinging from a tree on the next page.

We finally finished the book, and by the time I left her room, she was reading Bukowski's "Ham on Rye." Well, you know what they say: "The acorn doesn't piss far from the tree."

No comments: